The Law and Justice Foundation’s Legal Assistance Services Data Digest holds data from three of the NSW not-for profit legal assistance services providing services for disadvantaged residents. The three services are Legal Aid NSW, Community Legal Centres in NSW and Law Access NSW. Findings were first published in 2004 and are available here: Data digest - a compendium of service usage data from legal assistance and dispute resolution services, 1999-2002
This report covers Law Access data only for the period 2002-2004. It includes:
- the type of legal matter about which inquiries are made
- the demographic characteristics of those who seek assistance
- the pathways that service users take to resolve their legal issues
- changes in legal inquiries over time
- the rate of legal inquiries for particular population groups and geographic areas of NSW.
Legal assistance is only sought for a small proportion of the legal problems that people experience, as has been shown in surveys of legal need (see LAW Survey). A full list of Foundation reports on access to justice and legal need can be found on our research publications page